To go live on Twitter, you have two options:
- Go live with Twitter’s mobile app. Any Twitter user who doesn’t have protected tweets can go live from the Twitter mobile app.
- Go live on desktop. To go live on Twitter from a laptop or computer, you need a third-party streaming tool such as Restream Studio or OBS Studio. You can also use Twitter Media Studio Producer to go live, but only a limited number of accounts have access to it and it’s currently invite-only. You need a third-party streaming software to use Media Studio Producer as well.
Note that you need to have a public account on Twitter to live stream. You can’t go live if your tweets are protected.
📱How to go live on Twitter via a mobile device
- Launch the Twitter app and go to the composer.
- Tap the camera icon.
- Tap live at the bottom.
- Tap the microphone in the top corner to do an audio-only broadcast.
- Write a description of your live video, which will appear as a tweet.
- Add a location if you want your viewers to know where you’re streaming from.
- Tap go live. Your live video will appear in your followers’ timelines and on your profile as a tweet.
🖥 How to go live on Twitter on desktop
To go live on Twitter on desktop, you need a third-party streaming software such as OBS Studio or Restream Studio. If you want to go live straight from your web browser without downloading anything, you can use Restream Studio to go live on Twitter.
How to go live on Twitter with Restream Studio
Restream Studio is a browser-based live streaming studio that lets you broadcast to Twitter as well as multiple other platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Twitch and more simultaneously. You can customize your broadcast with a logo, background and captions, as well as add guests to the stream remotely. You can also play local video files and import a slideshow to show on-stream.
- Log in to your Restream account, or create one for free.
- On your dashboard, click Edit Destinations. Then select +Add Destination.From the channel screen, select Twitter.
- From the channel screen, select Twitter.
- Click Connect Twitter.
- Authorize Restream to access your Twitter account. Your Twitter account is now connected to Restream!
- Go back to your Restream dashboard and add any other channels you’d like to multistream to (Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
- When you’re done adding channels, click Stream with Studio from your Restream dashboard.
- In Restream Studio, enable access to your mic and/or camera, or share your screen. You can also add guests, play a local video from your computer, change the background, upload custom graphics and more.
- Once your broadcast is set up, click Go Live on the top of the screen!Read our guides to adding Twitter to Restream and how to use Restream Studio to get started.
How to go live on Twitter with Media Studio Producer
Twitter’s Media Studio Producer does not have a native live streaming studio, so you will need a third-party solution to go live on Twitter on a desktop or laptop computer. You have to get your stream key from Twitter and plug it into your broadcasting software of choice.
Here’s how to do it using the popular encoder OBS Studio:
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- Go to studio.twitter.com. You’ll be taken to your library, where you can see all the media you’ve uploaded to Twitter.
- Click Producer.
- Click Create Broadcast in the top-right corner to start a new live video.
- Give your broadcast a name and add a category.
- Under the Source pull-down menu, select Create a New Source. Give your source a name and select your region.
- Click Create.
- On the Create broadcast window, finish entering your settings and adding your source.
- You’ll then see your RTMP URL (also called Source URL) and Stream key. You’ll need this stream key to go live using a live streaming software, such as OBS Studio.
- Next, download and launch OBS Studio if you haven’t already.
- In OBS Studio, go to Settings in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Select Streaming from the drop-down list of services, then select Twitter.
- Select your region under Server. Keep in mind, the closer you are to the location geographically, the better your stream quality will be.
- In the Stream Key field, paste the Twitter stream key from Media Studio Producer.
- After you’ve added your camera and mic as sources in OBS, you can click Start Streaming, and your live stream will be automatically broadcasted on Twitter
🦑 How to stream to Twitter and other platforms simultaneously
If you want to multistream to other platforms in addition to Twitter, you can do it easily with Restream. Simply add Twitter and all your preferred platforms to your Restream account. Then, you can go live on your preferred platforms using our browser-based live streaming tool, Restream Studio.
If you’re using OBS as your streaming software, you can also multistream to Twitter and other platforms by connecting OBS to Restream.